Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Carnelian

The beginning of spring comes this month, but we're still very much in the clutches of Madame Winter here on the East coast. This time of year, I'm longing for colour. Most people look forward to the colours of spring - pastels in shades of yellow, blue, pink, green, lavender. Not me! The dark colours are what draw me in. And lately it's been the reds...



Carnelian has been used in the decorative arts since approximately 1800 BC.






The word carnelian is derived from the Latin word carnis which means flesh, in reference to the flesh colour it sometimes exhibits.



Metaphysically, carnelian is a stone of creativity, individuality, personal power and courage. It can aid in memory.










Carnelian protects from anger, jealousy, rage and fear, and it is a traditional "good luck" stone.



To see more of these wonderful Carnelian creations from our very talented TransCanada members at Etsy, just click on the photos to take you directly to that item!

3 comments:

PrairiePeasant said...

Thanks for this informative post--I know very little about gemstones (but now I know a little more!). I love the richness of these gems--the pieces chosen are quite stunning.

laurabucci said...

How neat! That's a new word for me. I like the information you shared and the pics to go along with it.

Melanie L said...

What a lovely post! Really good idea! And that's not just 'cause my necklace was included... ;-)